How many times have you heard, “It’s your day!”? Yet, somehow you feel … responsible? … for others’ wishes…? We get it.
News flash: It is your day! You have the absolute right to make it all about you and your other half. As a couple, you’re in control of your wedding day. Here are a few dos and don’ts to ease your mind, and up your enjoyment:
Start with the easy ones:
- Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Enjoy your day! Stop, and be present in the moment.
- Take a minute to stand back, look around and revel in what you’ve accomplished.
Check out these key tips:
- Eat before you forget, since you’ll be running around like crazy — in a good way! Make sure to eat something before the ceremony so your stomach isn’t growling during pictures, and so that the first glass of champagne doesn’t go straight to your head.
- Keep hydrated, and by that we mean water. An easy way to remember to drink water once the festivities have started is to have a glass of water after every alcoholic beverage. Pro tip: Hydration is key every day, not just during the hazy, hot and humid time of the year, and not just on your wedding day.
- Choose your best man/person/woman wisely. You will need that key bridal party member for support and advice, and to help keep the day running as planned. In some cases, you’ll need him or her to help keep the other bridal party members in line!
- Encourage your guests to take pictures and to share them with you. It’s the unexpected moments that guests catch as they’re celebrating you that are truly priceless.
Resolve to do these:
- Don’t micromanage. Allow the staff to do their jobs because they want your event to go as perfectly as you do, and they’re well trained to make that happen.
- Don’t allow the “Debbie Downers” to ruin your day. We all have that one friend or family member who is a naysayer, no matter what. Ignore ‘em!
- Whatever weather happens on your wedding day is the right weather. Accept it gracefully. So what if the sun doesn’t show up? Your partner’s smile is all the sunshine you need!
- Here’s one for the groom: Do have an opinion, but don’t have too many opinions … unless your bride insists! In most cases, she’s doing the arranging, so it’s best to just go with the flow.
Looking for more? The Gables at Chadds Ford’s events team put together their best advice on pulling off a quickie wedding, the benefits (and, savings!) of weekday events, wedding planning, must-have wedding day pampering, wedding receptions made easy, how to choose great vendors, memorable showers on a budget, and — just for the gents — top tips for the groom and groomsmen! Indulge in this fairy-tale wedding story to see how it all comes together.
Last, but certainly not least, The Gables offers special pricing for weddings booked within two months of your date. Ready to plan a great wedding? Talk to your partner about giving us a call. Contact Kelly Donahue at (610) 388-7700. You can also check The Gables’ availability online. It’s never too early to get started.
The Gables at Chadds Ford is nestled in the heart of the historic Brandywine Valley. Our combination of fresh seasonal cuisine, rustic yet elegant charm and enchanting outdoor dining (in season) will keep you coming back, time and time again. The Gables is also the perfect venue to host your next special event, whether you are planning a wedding, rehearsal dinner, baby shower or corporate event.
Feature photo: Kerry Harrison Photography