When you think of salad and sangria, you might think of them as a refreshing cure for the three “Hs” of summer — hazy, hot and humid. In reality, a well-constructed salad accompanied by a timeless libation is an all-season favorite. Our pick: our Gables Salad with housemade Peach & Berry Sangria.
At The Gables at Chadds Ford, these two are a perfect match thanks to complementary ingredients that start with fruit. Honeycrisp apples and Anjou pears are the salad’s stars, while ripe, juicy peaches take center stage in our sangria. Apples, pears and crunchy candied walnuts add a touch of sweetness to our signature salad and play nicely with funky blue cheese and barely-tart vinaigrette. Sips of our sangria — made just-right sweet with peach moscato, a splash of peach schnapps and triple sec, all topped with club soda, fresh berries and orange slices — bring complementary notes to your light bite repast.
Want to recreate our Gables Salad at home? Here’s a quick and easy recipe for a starter salad; add your favorite protein, such as baked salmon, grilled chicken or tofu for a healthy entree. Pro tip: Double it and leave an impression at your next get-together. And although you could make sangria at home, we hope you’ll stop by and sample our award-winning libation.
- 4 cups mixed greens
- White balsamic vinaigrette, to taste
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, cored, cut in half and sliced thin
- 2 Anjou pears, cored, cut in half and sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons blue cheese
- 4 tablespoons candied walnuts
White balsamic vinaigrette ingredients:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste (we make our own, but there are great options in grocery stores)
White balsamic vinaigrette method:
- Whisk all ingredients until blended. Use immediately, or store in an airtight glass container.
Candied walnuts ingredients:
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Candied walnuts method:
- Heat a nonstick skillet to medium.
- Add walnuts, sugar and butter.
- Heat for about five minutes, stirring often. Watch carefully to prevent burning!
- When all ingredients are incorporated, transfer to parchment and separate to prevent sticking.
- Let coating harden, approximately 10 minutes. Use immediately, or store in an airtight glass container.
- Toss mixed greens with vinaigrette, then divide over four plates.
- Top with 1/2 sliced apple, 1/2 sliced pear, 1 tablespoon blue cheese and one tablespoon candied walnuts.
The Gables at Chadds Ford is nestled in the heart of the historic Brandywine Valley. Our combination of fresh seasonal cuisine, rustic yet elegant charm and enchanting outdoor dining will keep you coming back time and time again. The Gables is also the perfect venue to host your next special event, whether you are planning a wedding, rehearsal dinner, baby shower or corporate event.
Photos: The Gables at Chadds Ford