We want to say “the weather outside is frightful,” but that depends on what you mean by “frightful.” Around here, it could be 50 degrees in early and late winter or hovering in the chilly teens in deep winter. Great news: Inside The Gables at Chadds Ford, it’s always delightful!
Pop in and give our winter menu a try. We have woven the season’s best with old favorites and added a touch of our trademark Southern style. We suspect we’ll see you back again (and again!) once you get a taste of these soul-warming selections:
- Balsamic brussels sprouts: Fried just right, these sprouts are kissed with a slightly sweet balsamic reduction and sprinkled with shaved Asiago.
- Loaded pimento crab and artichoke dip: Succulent lump crab is swirled with aged cheddar pimento cheese, artichokes, bacon and scallions, and served with housemade bread.
- Mushroom soup: The French onion base is what makes this soup stand out from the other mushroom soups! Swimming in this base and mushroom broth are savory, roasted shiitake, crimini and oyster ‘shrooms topped with brioche croutons and melted Gruyère — all served in a cozy cast iron crock.
- Shrimp and grits: We use Doylestown’s Castle Valley Mill white cheddar grits and kick them up with local mushrooms, mixed bell peppers, bacon and scallions along with tender shrimp. If you’re having wine, try the Trefethen Chardonnay.
- Wood-fired filet mignon: One of Chef’s favorites, this filet is accompanied by truffle baby carrots, shallot-roasted fingerling potatoes and a veal red wine demi-glace. A great wine pairing to stand up to hearty filet is B Side Cabernet Sauvignon.
Looking for something lighter to remind you of spring? Try these fresh favorites:
- Gables salad: A winning combination of mixed lettuce with a touch of sweet from candied walnuts, Honeycrisp apples and Anjou pears, plus not-too-funky Black River blue cheese, all finished with white balsamic vinaigrette.
- Grilled romaine salad: Reminisce about warmer days with crisp, grilled hearts of romaine, garlic croutons, roasted piquillo peppers and classic Caesar dressing.
Hungry for more? Browse our menu for other favorites such as pan-seared Carolina grouper, pork belly wrapped lamb shank and frenched chicken breast. Bonus: There are warming options for lunch and brunch, at the bar, during happy hour and — of course — on our Tuesday and Wednesday evening prix fixe menu. See you soon for our winter menu, whether or not it’s cold outside.
The Gables at Chadds Ford is nestled in the heart of the historic Brandywine Valley. Our combination of fresh seasonal cuisine, rustic yet elegant charm and enchanting outdoor dining will keep you coming back time and time again. The Gables is also the perfect venue to host your next special event, whether you are planning a wedding, rehearsal dinner, baby shower or corporate event.
Photos, top to bottom: The Gables at Chadds Ford; Betsy Barron; Fig; Betsy Barron