Timothy Gaige was a healthy, 37-year-old man who suddenly found himself in the Intensive Care Unit with lymphoma. A compromised immune system couldn’t fight the bacterial infection that ensued, and sadly and tragically, he passed on June 11, roughly a month after diagnosis.
Tim left behind a wife, MaryBeth, three children and a host of family and friends. They’re seeking constant ways to honor his memory and create a legacy that impacts others. As friends of the family, we’re honored and humbled to host an American Red Cross blood drive at The Gables at Chadds Ford. Join us on Monday, August 21, from 2 to 7 p.m.
According to the American Red Cross, there’s an emergency need for blood. Statistics from its website are staggering:
- Every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood.
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the United States.
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the United States.
- Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the United States.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- It is estimated that sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the United States. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- According to the American Cancer Society, more than 1.69 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2017. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
You don’t have to know Tim or his family to make a difference right here in our community. Register online, or call us at (610) 388-7700 or the American Red Cross at 1-800-RED-CROSS, to schedule an appointment. Stay up to date as the blood drive approaches by watching our Facebook event.
Help us remember a friend while making an impact on countless lives. We thank you!
The Gables at Chadds Ford is nestled in the heart of the historic Brandywine Valley. Our combination of fresh seasonal cuisine, rustic yet elegant charm and enchanting outdoor dining will keep you coming back time and time again. The Gables is also the perfect venue to host your next special event, whether you are planning a wedding, rehearsal dinner, baby shower or corporate event.
Family photos: MaryBeth Gaige; flyer photo: American Red Cross