The Gables at Chadds Ford is situated on land that was originally part of a 138 acre land grant from William Penn to Brinton King. Around 1745, a pre-Revolutionary style house was built on the property. This was one of the first homes to be built in Pennsbury Township. For the next 100 plus years, the property operated as a working farm and quietly became part of the Brandywine Valley’s history. The route along Route One is well known to have housed numerous stops for the Underground Railroad during the Civil War. It has been suspected that the King house may have been one of these stops.
The house was renovated in the late 1800s by George C. King, son of Brinton King. He adopted the popular Victorian style by adding wrap around porches and twenty three gables. Two of the four original chimneys from the pre-Revolutionary style home are still visible. In March of 2002, the house was placed on the National Historic Register.
The bank barn was built in 1897, and the farm became a traditional dairy farm until the late 1940s. The barn then reincarnated into Dario’s Dairy Bar and General Store. Dario’s featured Elsie the Borden Cow on the side of the building. By the 1960s, the site became the Country Kettle, a home-style diner many Chadds Ford residents may remember.
In 1997, Jack McFadden purchased and renovated the historic house and barn into what is now known as The Gables at Chadds Ford. The restaurant features the original frame, steel-framed doors and windows, and Bendheim restoration glass. The banquet room is accented with a stunning wall of French windows and is crowned with an antique chandelier. Live piano is featured on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings. The name for the restaurant was derived from the large number of gables, (gable n. the triangular upper part of an outside wall, between sloping roofs), that are featured on both the Victorian House and the restaurant.
In 2011 Ann Kolenick purchased The Gables. She has been a restaurant owner/operator since 2006, when she purchased a seafood restaurant in Atlantic Beach on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. After major renovation, she transformed it into McCurdy’s On Moonlight Bay, one of the most popular tourist destinations on the island. But her Pennsylvania roots drew her home and she set her sights on moving back to this area.
Ann is from Wallingford, PA. She attended the University of South Carolina, where she earned a BS degree in Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management. After working in a management position for a few months, Ann decided to focus her efforts on cooking. She enrolled in the prestigious Restaurant School at Walnut Hill College in Philadelphia, graduating Summa cum laude with a degree in Pastry Arts. Her Bourbon Street Chocolate Banana Cake won First Place in the 2010 North Carolina Chocolate Festival Professional Bake-Off and First Place in the 1st Annual Kennett Square Chocolate Lovers Festival. Two years later, her Chocolate Espresso Cake also took First Place at the Kennett Square Chocolate Lovers Festival! Both desserts are featured on the dessert menu and are best sellers!
Ann looks forward to continuing her success at The Gables. Check this website often for upcoming special events, Happy Hour offerings, and expanded menu items.
Welcome to The Gables at Chadds Ford!